– There are many interesting stories now that I analyze the Pirates’ draft picks.
- Cole Irvin is the big story that I haven’t seen anything about yet by Pittsburgh media. All-American LHP his frosh year. Then Tommy John. Draft eligible Soph that everyone thinks would return to college but Pirates drafted him in the 32nd…. and his best friend Mitchell Tolman (imagine Dan Gamache) in the 7th.
- Kevin Kramer seems like a badass
- They drafted 3 of the youngest college junior position players:
- Eli White, ss, Clemson 6/26/94
- Casey Hughston, of, Alabama 6/9/94
- Mitchell Tolman, 3b, Oregon 6/8/94 (Cole Irvin’s best buddy)
- Jake Taylor – JuCo pitcher- is one of the few projectable pitchers but he was an outfielder initially in college.
- Seth McGarry – college pitcher, 8th round – MLB teases that he could be a quick bullpen addition.
- Jake McCarthy – HS OF – Really young (still 17). Commit to UVA. His brother who went to UVA was just drafted by Rays in the 5th. Oozing with athletic ability but raw.
- Connor Costello – who was a two way player who had an interesting freak STEAK injury
- Logan Ratledge – NC State SS/2B – was named by prospect guru John Sickels as a value pick
– A Twitter conversation with a fellow Pirates’ writer at RumBunter about the lack of talent the Indy and Altoona teams have been seeing AND how deep the Indians and the Curve are sparked this exercise.
I decided the Pirates could compose a pretty good 25-man roster with players currently in AA and AAA. They could legitimately compete with ML clubs due to their defense, pitching and hitting (especially using some platoons). My guesstimate:
|Alen Hanson||R||SP||Tyler Glasnow||R||1B/RF||Stetson Allie||R|
|Steve Lombordozzi||S||SP||Jameson Taillon||R||C||Tony Sanchez||R|
|Jaff Decker||L||SP||Casey Sadler||R||SS||Max Moroff||R|
|Josh Bell||S||SP||Adrian Sampson||R||OF||Keon Broxton||R|
|Elias Diaz||R||SP||Angel Sanchez||R||IF/OF||Adam Frazier||L|
|Gift Ngeope||R||RP||Clayton Richard||R|